Site menu:

Site search

Categories

Editing SQL Server Spatial Data?

I’m looking for some thoughts on the best way of editing spatial data stored in Microsoft SQL Server.  Ideally full editing including COGO entry, ability to quickly reshape existing features, copy features between layers, and create new features.

At this point there don’t seem to be any solid editing tools that are up to the task.  I hope I’m wrong, and that you will all provide lots of comments to set me right!

QGIS doesn’t read SQL Server Spatial, and without writing an extension for it (any demand for that?) I don’t see that it ever will since it’s focused more on the open-source world and thus PostGIS.  We’re not about to shell out for any ESRI licenses at this point.  The only other tool appears to be Manifold, but to be honest the controversies around it have me a bit skeptical.  Does it work well for editing data straight from SQL Server?  If so, perhaps it’s worth a shot?

I know, I know, we should be using PostGIS.  However, for a whole number of legacy reasons, we’re stuck on SQL Server at this point and likely for the foreseeable future.

Comments/thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Comments

Comment from Mavka
Time March 16, 2010 at 9:50 am

Create wfs-service with GeoServer and use it in qgis

Comment from warrieka
Time March 16, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I don’t know any foss app’s but are several commercial. Most important is AutoCAD (through FDO) According MS: http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/spatial-partners.aspx

Comment from Emil Zegers
Time March 16, 2010 at 1:00 pm

*** warning: biased comment from PBBI employee ***
Not open source but you can use MapInfo Professional, it can edit both SQL Server Spatial directly and WFS-T services too. Editing PostgreSQL/PostGIS is also supported. A free 30 day fully functional trial is available after registration at http://www.pbinsight.com/ten

Comment from Darren
Time March 17, 2010 at 7:59 am

Thanks for the comments. I think the best thing to try is a) AutoCAD again–we have Map 3D 2010. When we last tried it, the check in/check out process was extremely ‘clunky’ and just didn’t work well. Maybe it’s worth a shot again in the new version. Otherwise, the WFS-T via GeoServer deserves some attention as well. Thanks!

Comment from Jorge
Time March 17, 2010 at 10:55 am

I was able to connect to sql server 2008 with AutoCAD Map 2010, it was quite straight forward.

From the foss4g arena, SharpGIS can connect to it (there’s a sample shp loader) and besides Geoserver, Mapserver can also connect to MSSQL.

Comment from cna training
Time March 30, 2010 at 1:41 am

Great site. A lot of useful information here. I’m sending it to some friends!

Write a comment

Bookshelf 2.0 developed by revood.com

Read previous post:
Sigma Rox 9.0 – Initial Impressions

Picked up the new Sigma Rox 9.0 on the weekend.  Initial impression?  Very good!  The unit seems to be of...